Sunday, March 28, 2010

the long view

Lisbon recently was chosen as Best Destination by the organization European Consumers Choice http://www.europeanconsumerschoice.org/winners-2010/best-destination-lisboa/. From the website it seems that tourism offices submit their city to be considered, and then volunteer consumers rate each application according to a set of criteria. In my opinion the description they give of Lisbon is pretty naff, at times veering on the far-fetched and romanticised, but maybe those are just parts of Lisbon I haven’t seen – obviously visiting a place is different to living there. However, the review is very accurate about a couple of things: the fabulous light and how Lisbon is a city of views. Sometimes I am walking around, I turn a corner, and a view (especially one of the river Tagus) takes my breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment